The growth of mould in your home is very problematic because it can cause a number of health problems and can cause major issues for those who have asthma or other respiratory problems. Mould usually grows in damp areas, like a shower or bathtub, but can also be found on walls, ceilings, carpets and furniture if they have been exposed to moisture.

It is important to understand that mould is a fungus and that sometimes, it can accumulate without your knowledge and does not always show itself right away. If you suspect this problem is present in your home, there are different ways of identifying it, and the first step is to look around. If you see water accumulating under the sink in your bathroom or feel that it is unusually humid in your basement, it may be a sign of mould. You should also check for stains and discolouration on your ceilings, walls, windowsills and floors, and must pay very close attention to your carpets and furniture. If the mould has been growing for a while, you will be able to spot it easily because it will be visible in large patches of furry or slimy mould. It’s always better to spot the problem before it gets to this point and if you pay careful attention, you will be able to identify it.

Some types of mould will smell, so if you sense unusual odours, follow the smell because it can lead you right to your mould problem. It will generally have a musty or damp smell, especially if it’s in an area that is exposed to high levels of moisture, so don’t be afraid to follow your nose as it can lead you straight to it. You should also check your crawlspace if you have one because leaks and moisture can build up in this area without you knowing about it, so inspect this space regularly to ensure there is no mould. Another indication of mould may be discomfort amongst you or your family members, so if you notice that someone is experiencing upper respiratory symptoms, check your home for signs of mould. This is especially true if your doctor is unable to provide you with a diagnosis, so pay close attention to you and your family’s health.

Ideally, it’s best to prevent the growth of mould in the first place, so fix any existing problems like a leak in your roof or a defective pipe because waiting too long can lead to problems that could have been avoided. The use of a dehumidifier would also help because they are designed to pull excess moisture from the air and this would make it very difficult for mould to grow.

Oliver Plumbing & Heating can provide you with more information, and the services we provide will ensure you don’t run into this problem. Whether you need furnace repairs or replacements, commercial plumbing services or residential plumbing services, we can help, so if you are in Edmonton, give us a call today!